I just had a weird bug and I thought I should share it.
I had just shut off maintenance mode on my new portfolio site and I was trying to figure out how long it would take google to scan my site, see the updated robots.txt, and then begin indexing again. I was being a little impatient and began switching some settings to see if I could force the update; I couldn’t.
I ended up switching the wrong setting and the template I had set up for my CPT (Custom Post Type) stopped being called, and instead I was getting an archive of my portfolio posts. I found that if I set “archive” to false in my CPT settings then the page would display index.php (and all my blog posts) and not the template it had shown me for a couple of weeks now. After messing around with a handful of settings I found that I had to assign the “front page displays” setting to a different static front page and a different page for the blog and then reassign them to the proper setting. Apparently, when I switched off the”Discourage search engines from indexing this site” setting something got mangled in the WordPress backend.
Everything is working fine now. I went ahead and left the archive setting set to false, because I don’t really need WordPress to do that for me anyway.